Wednesday, December 15, 2004

"Basic Instinct" writer looks at Hungarian water polo!

According to a report in Screen International, Joe Eszterhas, the Hungarian-born writer of "Basic Instinct", "Flashdance" and "Showgirls" is looking at dramatising the 1956 water polo match between Hungary and the Soviet Union. Against a backdrop of the Hungarian Revolution, the two teams met at the Olympic semi-finals in Melbourne. The ensuing match is considered to be one of the most violent sports events ever, leaving the pool red with blood.

Eszterhas is also the author of the aptly-named "Hollywood Animal", a tale of greed in movieland. Since contracting throat cancer, it was not felt he would return to writing. The as yet unnamed film is slated for a 2006 release, in time for the 50th anniversary of the match.

"Hollywood Animal" on Amazon US
"Hollywood Animal: A Memoir" on Amazon UK

1 comment:

Doug - The JeepCruzer said...

Hello again Michael,

I can see you've been very busy with your blog adding more fascinating info from the European cinema. In a past post you asked me to write you if I reviewed any foreign films on my movie blog. Well, I recently saw "Zelary" and bloged a review about it. If you care to see it, here is the permanent link:

http://dougandhannahmovies.blogspot.com/2004/12/zelary.html

You are welcome to link back to it of course. I'm a little shy of my writing as I don't spend a lot of time fine tuning my grammar and I'm not a professional critic so my reviews can be somewhat shallow at times, but if you're interested in the layman's view or think others may be, you're welcome to visit anytime.

Keep up the great blog, and take care.
Doug

P.S. If you've seen this film, I'd like to know what you thought of it.